Friday, 30 August 2013

Roughly from behind!…..

Thursday 29th August 2013

We’re off!  After much running around this week, we finally left the marina at about 1 pm for our trip to Barrow on Soar and the Beacon Boats gathering.  It’s been a long old summer, stuck in a cast and then getting my wrist to work properly.  We decided not to go too far today as we are well out of practice, and also we knew if we didn’t moor up around Weedon somewhere, we’d end up having to go all the way to Wilton and moor on the M1 (it might as well be on the motorway, you’re that close!) So we did a couple of hours and moored up near Furness Wharf, Nether Heyford being the nearest habitation.  On the way we passed nb Willow Too, Beacon’s latest boat to be launched.  They are just out for the weekend, still being tied to the marina by the ‘W’ word.  We stopped for a quick chat, and said we’d see them at the gathering – they are going by car just for the day.


Not long after we’d moored, we were sitting out on the bank in the sunshine, enjoying a much needed cup of tea, when we were rammed from behind – the ‘youth’ that was steering the other boat panicked when he turned the tiller the wrong way and came shooting towards our stern.  Dad leapt off the front and tried to push their bow away, but too late.  With much revving of the engine (we think it was out of gear by this time)  he crashed into our rear.  Luckily, the chain and rope took much of the impact, and our rudder seems okay.  It was one of those situation where you could see exactly what was going to happen, but were powerless to do anything to stop it.  Only 2 hours out and a ‘coming together’ already!  Lets hope that isn’t a taste of what’s to come on this trip. 



Ozzy seemed happy enough sitting on the locker taking in the view, and showed great interest in the cows and sheep in the fields.  I think we was a tad confused though.  We’ll see how he settles for his first night aboard.  We’ve brought his crate, which is on one of the dinette benches, and he’s used to sleeping in that, so I think he’ll be okay.

Whilst I’ve been writing this, our peace has been shattered by a very noisy combine which has started up in the field the other side of the hedge – I hope the harvesting doesn’t go on all night!!

I won’t be posting this tonight as we haven’t set up the internet aerial yet, so you’ll be getting a double helping tomorrow.

4.2 miles and 0 locks

1 comment:

  1. Great to see you both back cruising again!

    Enjoy the late summer together..



We love to read your comments but if you MUST comment as Anonymous, then please sign your comment with your name and/or boat name otherwise we don't know who you are