Tuesday, 23 March 2010

Playing catch up…

I haven’t blogged since last Wednesday, as there really hasn’t been much to blog about.

Serenity’s visitors arrived on Thursday morning, and we had a nice morning’s cruising to Alrewas, where we moored and had a walk around the village.  A taxi picked up the visitors and took them back to their car at Branston.

Friday saw us making haste towards Fradley junction where we were to spend the weekend.  On the way, Serenity had a problem with their electrics, so a phone call to Beacon was made with Neil promising to come out the next day, along with Sam from Foxton Boat Services to service our engine.  On arrival at Fradley we were disappointed to find that we couldn’t moor in our usual spot just around the corner on the Coventry as it was all full!!  How dare they!!!  We were stuck at the bottom opposite the cafe, by the road which wasn’t good for the dog, but needs must.  We then decided that as it was about lunch time, the Swan was a good idea.  Several pints of Mucky Duck and a few ciders later we sauntered back to the boats for an afternoon nap!  And this was the pattern for the weekend.  The food was just as good as ever, and the beer even better.

Serenity’s problem proved to be a faulty bowthruster battery charger, which Neil removed, and when our engine service was completed, we managed to secure a mooring up around the corner on Saturday afternoon – good job as we needed water, and the lower water point has been fenced off for repair.  Serenity followed us up on Sunday morning when another space became available.  They were photographed coming up through the lock by Canal and Riverboat magazine, and told that they would be on the cover of the May edition, so keep your eyes open for that.

We cruised to Hopwas yesterday, stopping for fuel at Streethay Wharf on the way.  Not a very nice morning, weather-wise, but we managed not to get too wet.

A beautiful morning greeted us when we awoke this morning, so we decided to make the most of it and cruise to Alvecote where Neil was too meet Serenity with a new bowthruster charger. 

SDC10485 On leaving Hopwas we passed this bench, decorated with daffs


and the first daffs we’ve seen in bloom on the bank outside the Tame Otter


Both boats appearing around the bend in Hopwas


Windsong in hot pursuit

We are now moored just past  Alvecote Marina, in a good spot to sit out the weather that is due tomorrow, and Serenity’s bowthruster is fixed, much to Karen’s relief!  We don’t have to be anywhere until Saturday morning, when we need to be at Atherstone to meet some friends who are visiting for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments but if you MUST comment as Anonymous, then please sign your comment with your name and/or boat name otherwise we don't know who you are