I haven’t blogged for a while as the connection in Great Hayward Marina is lousy. However, after over a week, we are back on the move again.
We went into the Marina on Monday 19th as the weather forecast was for gales and heavy rain, and we thought that it would be easier for Tim and Lisa from Staffordshire canopies to fit the pram hood as there might be a bit of shelter. As it happened, it had to be cancelled totally for Tuesday 20th as the weather was appalling, and it was put back to Wednesday, weather permitting.
Wednesday dawned cloudy if breezy, and the fitting went ahead.
It makes a huge difference to the temperature in the boat, and is somewhere to take off wet coats and shoes in bad weather. Of course, we travel with it folded down.
On Thursday we hired a car and went to Northampton to spend a few days with Mum, and to get Cassie to a vet. A few weeks ago Cassie had a seizure. It was very scary at the time, as we had never seen a dog have a fit before. We were hoping that it was a one -off, but 10 days later she had another, so it was time to visit the vet. We went on Friday morning, and she had some blood tests. One had to be repeated the following day as the result of the liver function one was a bit high, but it turned out that it was just because she had had breakfast, the second one was normal. The vet diagnosed ‘Idiopathic Epilepsy’ – meaning they haven’t a clue what causes it. She has some medication that she will have to take for the rest of her life, but it should keep the fits to a minimum – thank goodness for PetPlan!! It’s a bit worrying, and we find ourselves treating her with kid gloves so as not to stress her out more than she is anyway, but I’m sure that as the time increases between fits, we will go back to treating her as normal.
We came back to the boat on Monday, and planned to leave the marina yesterday morning, but we awoke to pouring rain so we stayed put for another day, and set off this morning instead. We only cruised for about an hour and a half, and are now moored just short of Rugeley – we plan to do some shopping in the town tomorrow morning, and maybe to visit the market. We will then head off tomorrow afternoon and plan to get to Fradley Junction for the weekend. We have a lot of time to waste over the next month or so, as we are heading towards Pillings Lock marina to have the dinette altered, and don’t want to arrive before the beginning of December, so we will be progressing along the Trent and Mersey very slowly indeed!